Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Genesis Of A Blog

What a boring ass title. But its late and I needed to get something written before I turn in for the night. I will ramble on during this blog about what I consider to be my "new" life...translation, life after official diagnosis. It's funny, we all know we have it, but the solidifying moment comes when you finally here the words. It's like a boulder has been removed from atop your body and you begin to float with the excitement of what comes next. As if St. Peter held open the pearly gates, I have passed through to the next phase.

Almost instantly, my outlook changed in every facet of life. Just the thought of knowing why my inability to engage in life was sluggish allowed me to focus on the following question: What next? Simple answer...pick up the pieces, sort them out, and put them back together. Yeah, I know, sounds easy. It will take time. Time to cope, time to educate, time to take note, time to learn, time to practice, time to enjoy my new found outlook and embrace a new way of life.

My first official step, well second actually (first was filling the Rx), was to buy Delivered from Distraction by Dr. Ned Hallowell. It is the quintessential guidebook to self reclamation. It is to life with ADD as the 12 steps are to AA. I dove head first into the book, and just as was predicted in the first few pages, I skipped to the chapters I most wanted to read. Since then, I have finally finished the book (albeit not easily: contrary to the title, there was some distraction) and have ascertained this simple premise; knowing the diagnosis and receiving the initial treatment did not concoct a magic recipe. I will still be the same dude. Short tempered, forgetful, chaotically unorganized, spacey, day dreamy, often ungrounded, and above all disengaged. The difference lies in my ability to apply intellect and education to a "condition" that is truly a gift. I don't know about you, but I embrace those aforementioned traits as a cornerstone to my personality. Now my wife on the other hand would like to see some change, but that will come with practice. I think she knows that. It is my next mission to get her to read the book and work out a plan of attack for us to reclaim our life, both individually and as a family. What has been challenging to me for decades has been equally challenging for her in our nearly 15 years as a unit.

Ooh look, shiny object...gotta go.

No comments: