Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Pet Peeve

It never fails, once involved in a conversation with someone who doesn't know me well personally, and if, perhaps, the topic of the "gift" boils forth...it rubs me slick to here the inevitable "well, that's not real, it's just people not knowing how to be a parent, or adults looking for an excuse". Both cases are true at times. People do tend to forget how to parent and adults very often look for excuses. So I begin the process of enlightening their ignorance with my own story. It is really fun! You should try it sometime, watching people backpedal is absolutely hysterical...so take that! Now open mouth, insert foot, and chew vigorously.

Be that as it may, those situations are few and far between. I mean let's face it, few people will strike up a conversation with a near stranger and start bashing on about over-prescribed ADD meds...but it does happen. It happened to me at a business dinner one night. We had taken out a few contractors for happy hour, then some dinner, and a little more happy hour. The topic came up. So I engaged. The aforementioned scenario played out and I diplomatically educated my colleagues about the medical truth. There was an eerie silence for quite some time, then I made a joke and we moved on...all the while laughing in my head. They probably think I am some sort of escaped mental patient now, but what the hell, my point was made.

No comments: